Sunday, March 23, 2014

An Unusual Encounter


Last Friday was the opening/blessing of my friend's bakery and I just had an unusual experience that day. After everyone had gone, the only ones left were me, my friends and an uncle from church. We were eating and just having conversation when an old homeless man came near us and said "Is it your day?" in Bisaya. I was a bit shocked and didn't know how to react because, honestly, I'm sure 95% of people don't react kindly to the homeless. My companions offered him some breakfast and when he took it, asked for some drink. I quickly regained my senses and opened the hot chocolate for him and gave it to him as he sat down on one of the tables. He seemed harmless but probably a bit on the crazy side due to starvation. He told us his name and he asked for a balloon. He was bringing 3 plastic bags and a plastic envelope that elementary kids would bring to school. We didn't notice anymore if he actually ate and finished the food but as I got in to the car, I saw him walk away to another place. 

You guys might not understand this post or the message and meaning that I'm trying to convey.. but I guess I just wanted to share this encounter. I normally do not talk to beggars or even mind them, but that moment taught me otherwise. Seeing my companions show him compassion and kindness made me change my outlook and attitude towards these people. Sometimes all we have to do is show someone a little kindness. A little goes a long long way. 


No comments:

Post a Comment